At the start of the summer I had the pleasure to be invited for a guest mix on the ever excellent My Analog Journal YT channel. This first time around Zag came to my flat to film and record a strictly gwoka mix, but now was my turn to blend in with the plants and do a lil wiggle in front of the cameras.
Given the setting and time of the year I figured it’d be fitting to play some of my favourite tropical and cosmic records of the moment. The most important thing for me when I play out or record a mix, be it 50 min or 8 hour long, is to be able to tell a story. Here are records from the Caribbeans (Cuba, Dominica, Guadeloupe and Guyane), Cabo Verde and Canada (!) which reflect not a genre but a mood, altogether cosmic, tropical and of resilience, with lyrics depicting universal tribulations.
– Juan Pablo Torres – ‘Son a Propulsión’
– Ophelia – ‘I Man Suffering’
– Swanha Desvarieux – ‘Ka and Fire’
– Emboule Jean-Claude et le Groupe Kako – ‘Poukisa’
– Josy Mass – ‘Moune Ô’
– Exode + – ‘Lévé’
– An Ba Sann – ‘Zanfan Sonjé’
– Rico – ‘Mwen Domi Dewo’
– Ex-Terrestrial – ‘Dance of the Nymph’
– Grupo Serenata -‘Sodade, Tem Pena D’Mim’
– Silvino Vieira – ‘Pidi Noiva’